Friday, February 06, 2009

being a mom is hard work...

Of course, I knew this.  But recently, just the past few days, has it been harder than usual.  Not just physically hard, but emotionally hard too.

It all started on Tuesday when I got sick at school-yes, I am now that teacher that got sick at school.  I went home early (at 10:00) and went straight to bed. Luckily that was the day that Pierce was at work with Justin.  When Justin arrived home that night, I was still holed up in our bedroom.  I didn't have a fever, but to be on the safe side, I stayed away from Pierce.  Definitely a very hard thing to do when all I wanted was to snuggle with my little one.  On Wednesday  when I woke up, I was feeling better, so off to school I went.  Around 3ish Pierce started to get fussy.  By the time I got home, he was definitely not feeling good.  We took his temperature that evening and it was 101.6.  Poor baby!  We put him to bed thinking that would help.  He woke up around 3:30 and was bright red.  I quickly got a cold washcloth and put on his head to cool him down.  Then on Thursday morning, Justin called the doctor and took him. The doctor checked him over and decided to send him over to get x-rays of his lungs.  Justin said it was a very good thing I wasn't there for this part because they had to set him on a seat and strap these plastic things on either side of him to keep him straight up.  Justin said that Pierce went hysterical.  By the time I got home, Pierce had calmed down a bit but was definitely not feeling good.  The doctor called back and told us there was no sign of pneumonia, and little P has a virus.  Well, while all of this is happening, sweet Justin is getting sick.  On Friday morning (at around 3:00) we wake Pierce up to take his temperature.  His has gone down to 99 but Justin's is up to almost 102!  At this point, I am thinking that our family is falling apart-which we kind of are!  I quickly type up some sub notes and email them to Kendra (thanks goodness for good friends at work) and head back to sleep.  When I wake up at 6 today, Justin says he feels like he has been hit by a train and can't get out of bed, and my sweet baby boy is so fussy!  Nothing, but being held while walking around, will soothe him.  So, I have been walking around all morning, in tears, trying to calm my baby.  All the while wishing I could disinfect our house and just make Pierce smile!  

Well, about 3o minutes ago, Pierce finally laid down and fell asleep for the first time all day and Justin is at the doctor's office, hopefully getting some medicine. Luckily, my parents live close by and they are headed over in a bit to help me clean and disinfect the house.  

So, being a mom is hard.  Hard because sometimes you have to forgo your own pain to take care of the hurts of another.  As Becky says, "There is no sick days for being a mom."  And hard emotionally because all you really want is for your little one to be happy and healthy and sometimes you just don't know what to do to make them happy!  It is so hard  to look into those sad eyes, full of tears, and not be able to fix the problem.  

3 comments:

Hillary Kouba said...

Yes, it is the most difficult job and there are no breaks! I am so sorry everyone is sick. That's the worst when it hits you too! I hope you are all feeling better soon and that getting everything disinfected makes you feel better about it all!

Dave and Tara Harris said...

Oh my goodness! I feel for yall! Yall got hit HARD!!! It is so true. Mom's don't get "sick days". At least it sounds like this virus is fast acting, so hopefully everyone will be back to their happy selves very soon! I will pray for all 3 of you!

Tara said...

Hi there,

My name is Tara and I came across your blog through Ryan Bird's. You looked really familiar and I think that we may have played club volleyball together in junior high! Not sure though! Anyway, just wanted to say hi and that your son is adorable! I'm a teacher as well and I definitely know how you feel! It's tough but gets easier!



W