Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Part Electro-Nerd

My dad and younger sister are both engineers - a little nerdy to a fault, but I love it about both of them. They often talk about things that are WAY over my 4th grade teacher head and I sometimes refer to them as "engi - nerds" - in love of course.

As a 4th grade teacher, my science knowledge is very basic. I teach the scientific process, weather patterns, phases of matter, the water cycle, and things like that. Until this year. The state of Texas added TEKS - or state standards - that require me to teach magnetism and electricity. If I am totally honest, I tried to avoid this at all cost, but the fact that my students will be tested next year on the material, I figured I better teach it. And so I won't lose my job.

So, tonight I headed up to Home Depot to get 16d nails, batteries, and cooper wire to create an electromagnet. When I got home, I excitedly opened the materials and followed the directions on my lesson plans and....

made an electromagnet that worked!!

Now I just hope I can make another one tomorrow at school with my students AND be able to explain it to them. After this little "science success," I hope that my next challenge - making a complete circuit - is just as successful. I just might becoming part Electro-Nerd. :)

5 comments:

Kendra said...

So proud! Be ready to give me a quick tutorial in the AM! :) Matt gave me some 'background knowledge', too!

Miss Nikki's News said...

so fun, i used to love stuff like that in school!

Amy E. said...

Woo Hoo! Nice job!!

Parker and Janet said...

IMPRESSIVE!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.