Monday, October 20, 2008

Trunk or Twig

On our trip to Destin, my feet began to swell. I merely thought it was the long drive in the car and that once we returned my feet and ankles would return to normal size. When we returned home, my feet and ankles returned-but only for a short time. Once school started, my feet began to swell during the day. About a month ago, it spread to my legs. And now it is just common place. My feet, ankles, and calves are swollen consistently. According to my doctor the only way to get back to normal is to always have my feet elevated above my heart (which is not natural or possible while I am still working) and to cut out sodium-which means to only eat fresh fruit and vegetables. And let me just tell you, I am way too hungry to just eat fresh fruit and vegetables.

My sweet husband has been so nice about helping me out around the house and rubbing my feet. However, recently he has thought it is quite entertaining to compare the size of our legs. I joke around with him and call my legs the 'tree trunks.' He has wanted to take a picture lately and I am been quite abrehensive, but I figured with only 21 days left, I might as well just bite the bullet and take the picture.

The truth is, I've been blessed to have not swollen up anywhere else. Not the butt. Not my face. But for some reason, I've developed legs that leave my shoe options somewhere in between "clown" and "boots reserved for Big Tex."

So, if you hear thunder over the next 21 days--don't worry, it's probably not a storm. It's just me walking on these triple-thick, memory-foam like leg-a-sauruses attached below my knees.




On a lighter note (literally), we had our 37 week appointment today. There has been no progression since last week. Pierce is still dropped in position, but no dilatation has begun. So, we made our 38 week appointment for next Monday.

Also, here is a picture of our new piece of furniture in Pierce's room.

5 comments:

Becky said...

I don't notice too much in the legs... and remember what the doctor said... it won't take to long to go back down!!! Only 3 more weeks!

Dave and Tara Harris said...

OH my gosh. Those are very swollen. But hey, if you have to choose a place to be swollen, I would TOTALLY choose the ankles and feet. Count yourself as lucky! haha. And just a side note, 3 days before I went into labor I had gone to my 39 week check-up and I had NO progression. Not dilated or effaced. But low and behold, 3 days later, I was in labor. So don't get discouraged if you still have no progression. When Peirce it ready to come, he will come!!!

Jace said...

My feet and legs looked the same way. I have that same picture! My doctor told me the same thing about keeping my feet up, but teaching first grade, that was not an option! I can't wait to see pictures of your little one. I saw your mom yesterday and she was just beaming with just the mention of him. He is so lucky to be loved by so many. Good luck with everything!

Mandy Kirwan

Sharon said...

Not sure how much you exercised during pregnancy but I swim with several girls that are pregnant and they have sworn that it kept the swelling away, unlike previous times when they didn't swim. I think part of it is the water and that you're elevated in a horizontal position the whole time. Swimming is great during pregnancy! Just a thought for next time around! I hope you guys are doing great and your delivery is fantastic!

Sharon

The Bird Family said...

I looked the same...I was so swollen that after Madelyn I lost 30 pounds in the hospital all from swelling going down (and of course the baby out!:))...I can't wait to see pictures of the little one! :)